The Former Nebraska Ordnance Plant, located in rural Nebraska near the town of Mead, was a 17,250-acre load, assemble and pack facility that produced bombs, boosters and shells in support of World War II and the Korean Conflict. The facility included munition load lines and an Atlas Missile Area, added in 1959. There are currently four groundwater plumes, each up to four miles long. The primary contaminants within the groundwater are trichloroethene (TCE), a common solvent, and hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine (RDX), an explosive. Despite the existing contamination, the former NOP property is used today for residential, agricultural, and research purposes by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. The U.S. Army Reserve and Nebraska Air National Guard also own portions of the property.